Monday, July 30, 2012

Book Review: What I Didn't Say

Monday, July 30, 2012

Title: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Genre/s:  Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction, Romance

Synopsis:

Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat.


His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.

My Thoughts:

My first impression after I read the synopsis was I expected a story that revolves around mistakes, regret, teen angst and life lessons. A story that can give me an insight on how it feels like to be mute and how frustrating it is to not express yourself without using your voice. But what I get is way more than that. I didn't expect the emotionally draining story of Samantha Shay, her struggles and triumphs and the purest love story I've ever read.   

This book is so amazing, it would make you speechless(no pun intended). The emotion invested by Keary Taylor in every pages of this book just oozes out to the readers. It's heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time. Reading this book feels like chopping an onion, because it will make you cry even if you don't want to. 

What I Didn't Say is not just about mistakes, regret or  teen angst, it's more about respect, understanding, coping, dreams, love and family. It's about loving the life you have and spending it with people you love.

I highly recommend this to EVERYONE.

My Rating:



*I received this book from the Publisher via Netgalley.*
Books for YA! © 2015