Saturday, September 21, 2013

Author's Slambook: Rachel Harris, author of A Tale of Two Centuries

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Author Bio:
Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Rachel Harris grew up in New Orleans, where she watched soap operas with her grandmother and stayed up late sneak reading her mama’s favorite romance novels. Now a Cajun cowgirl living in Houston, she still stays up way too late reading her favorite romances, only now, she can do so openly. She firmly believes life’s problems can be solved with a hot, powdered-sugar-coated beignet or a thick slice of king cake, and that screaming at strangers for cheap, plastic beads is acceptable behavior in certain situations.

When not typing furiously or flipping pages in an enthralling romance, she homeschools her two beautiful girls and watches reality television with her amazing husband. Taste The Heat is her adult romance debut. She’s the author of MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY and A TALE OF TWO CENTURIES. She loves hearing from readers! Find her at www.RachelHarrisWrites.com.
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? PURPLE!
2. Favorite food? Chicken fajita nachos. And anything chocolate
3. Favorite movie of all time? So many I turn to, but I may just have to say Pride and Prejudice. BBC Version is my favorite, but I love (and own) several versions
4. Favorite song? Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield
5. Favorite book of all time? Probably P&P (I read it once a year), but more recent would be the Thoughtless/Effortless/Reckless series. And I love them all so much....but if I had to pick, I'd say Reckless.
All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originated?
Always was a writer, just never thought I'd be an author. That sounded like something way too hard and impossible to accomplish. I did think I'd go into journalism for a while, and as a mom I fell into blogging and writing for a homeschool magazine. But after reading the Twilight series three times in a row, I just got the itch to try and write a book of my own.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I'm a homeschool mom and full-time author, so my life is chaotic and never the same way twice. It involves a lot of starts and stops, confusion, Diet Mt. Dew, and chocolate. I normally work in chunks, before 11:30 and then after 2:00, with that lunch block reserved for hardcore school work. Other than that, it's writing as much as I can, editing like crazy as I go, and hoping it'll all make sense in the end ;)

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
Yes, I NEED my outlines!!! (he he) I recently hired an assistant and she got to see some of the crazy pre-planning and outlining I do....It's truly scary. But I need all that to know my characters, and once I do, I'm able to dive in and let the story take over.


4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
Endings are always the hardest, even though they are planned. I hate saying goodbye to my characters! The easiest are any moments that make me laugh and smile, those lighthearted humorous moments, or the kissy scenes. Those flow pretty fast, too, because they are so much fun.


5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I'm rarely not writing or editing or plotting, but when I'm not doing any of those things, and not homeschooling my girls or sleeping, I'm reading. My nose is in my Kindle, and I most likely have a sappy grin on my face.
Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is real life is stranger than fiction. Things that people would never believe possible in a book, happen every day in the real world. The other difference is that in fiction, bad boys tend to be a lot yummier and cooler than the real life versions.
2. Research is what I'm doing when watching Youtube, staring at cute boys on Pinterest, and listening to music over and over. Also, that's my excuse for buying so many books. It's all research, honey...
3. I can write better when I'm totally alone and no one needs me for anything. That very rarely happens, though. Lol!
4. Sleep is an excellent way to recharge and dream up new possibilities.
5. A room without a book is a very sad place.

Books
Title: Taste the Heat (Love and Games #1)
Genre/s: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Date Published: July 8, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Noble

Synopsis:

One sexy fire captain. One Cajun chef, One combustible kitchen…

When chef Colby Robicheaux returned home to New Orleans to save her family restaurant, the last person she expected to reconnect with was her brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. As tempting as a sugar-coated beignet, Jason is one dish she doesn’t want to taste. Colby is counting down the days till she can leave the place where her distrust of love and commitment originated and go back to Vegas.

Fire captain Jason Landry isn’t looking for love, either. He knows he should focus on finding the perfect mother for his daughter, but when he first sees Colby, all grown up and gorgeous, he can’t help but be drawn to her. And when she suggests a no-strings-attached fling, Jason doesn’t want to say no.

As their relationship grows more intense, Colby finds that Jason isn’t as easy to leave behind as she thought. Could turning up the heat on something real be worth the possibility of getting burned?

Title: A Tale of Two Centuries (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century #2)
Genre/s: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Date Published: August 16, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Synopsis:

Alessandra DAngeli is in need of an adventure. Tired of her sixteenth-century life in Italy and homesick for her time-traveling cousin, Cat, who visited her for a magical week and dazzled her with tales of the future, Alessandra is lost. Until the stars hear her plea.

One mystical spell later, Alessandra appears on Cats Beverly Hills doorstep five hundred years in the future. Surrounded by confusing gadgets, scary transportation, and scandalous clothing, Less is hesitant to live the life of a twenty-first century teenuntil she meets the infuriatingand infuriatingly handsomesurfer Austin Michaels. Austin challenges everything she believes inand introduces her to a world filled with possibility.

With the clock ticking, Less knows she must live every moment of her modern life while she still can. But how will she return to the drab life of her past when the future is what holds everything shes come to love?
Books for YA! © 2015